I bid you a very hearty welcome to newmaniacs, the first livejournal community dedicated to the celebrated actor and Academy Award®-winner Paul Newman, who sadly lost the battle with lung cancer on September 26th, 2008. Although officially retired from acting since May 2007, Mr. Newman had enjoyed a successful, versatile five-decade career in which he had certainly left an everlasting mark on the world of film and entertainment. His reputation is that of a charming rebel, because he often (especially in the '60s) chose to play characters with a rebellious and yet heroic nature (so-called "anti-heroes"). Famous for both his steely blue eyes and his brilliant performances, some of his most memorable films include "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958), "Hud" (1963), "Cool Hand Luke" (1967), "The Sting" (1973), "The Verdict" (1982) and "The Color of Money" (1986).
I believe that such an accomplished actor with so many important achievements should not become lost in obscurity, which is why I (dying_dreams) founded this community. It is my wish that this becomes a place for his fans to gather in, enabling them to express their appreciation and admiration of Mr. Newman and all the roles he had ever played. I hope that this community becomes a pleasant and lively place, so that perhaps even accidental passers-by will find themselves curious and drawn to Mr. Newman. :)
In order for this to become and remain a pleasant and well-functioning community for everyone involved, a few basic rules are necessary. I ask that you please read them and act on them accordingly. Thank you for your time and efforts for doing so. :)
1) First of all, please be kind and respectful to fellow members. Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion(s) and tastes and you can have a civil discussion without bashing, flaming or using derogatory language.
2) When posting, please try to be legible and refrain from netspeak. An example of what is not tolerated: "plz d0 n0t tYp3 l1ke tHis. itz hard 2 r3ad & uNd3RsTaNd. thx."
3) Any entry you post must be clearly related to Paul Newman. As long as you abide by that, you can post *anything* you like (as long as the content does not exceed the 'R'-rating): icons, screencaps, fanfiction, articles, etc.
4) To make it easier for your fellow community members to find entries, please try to use tags in your entries. For example, make sure your entry filled with icons is tagged "icons." The same goes for entries containing screencaps, fanfiction, articles, etc.
5) Please try to use an LJ-cut when posting anything graphic. For icons: only use an LJ-cut if you have more than 4 icons to offer. For pictures: you may post only one picture without an LJ-cut, providing it is of a size that does not mess up the community's entries page or a member's friends page. Needless to say, multiple pictures would have to go under an LJ-cut. This is for the people who have a slow Internet-connection; it can take forever to download a graphics-heavy page. If you do not know how to make an LJ-cut, then please click here.
6) No stealing icons! If you're going to take someone's icon, comment and tell them. If you take someone's icon and pass their work off as your own, you will be removed from the community.
7) You may promote other communities, as long as they are related to Paul Newman, e.g. films he starred in or characters he played.
8) Last but not least, have fun! I really hope you have a good time here. :)
Affiliates are always welcome! :D Please leave a comment here and I will most likely include your community or fanlisting as soon as possible. :)